Healthy, baked falafel, made Swedish -style with yellow split peas! The patties are vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, high in protein, and only 68 calories each!
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 large carrot, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (packed) cup parsley leaves (about 1 small bunch)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less to your taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of ground cloves
- Olive oil for spritzing tops
- Place the peas in a medium bowl; fill with water to cover the peas by 1 inch. Soak at least 8 hours or for up to 24 hours. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or spray all 12 cups of a standard size muffin tin.
- In a food processor, pulse the carrot, onion, and parsley, marjoram, salt, pepper and cloves until finely chopped.
- Bring a medium saucepan half full of water to a boil; add the drained peas and cook for 4 to 6 minutes until softened slightly; Drain immediately and transfer food processor with the vegetables. Pulse until peas are just broken down and mixture starts to stick together.
- Shape mixture into 12 patties (each about 1/4-1/3 cup) and place in prepared tins. Sprtiz tops with a bit of oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool in tin, set on a cooling rack, for 10 minutes before removing from tin.
Storage: Store the cooled falafel patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and the freezer for up to 3 months. Rewarm in 15 second intervals in the microwave.
- Category: lunch, snack
- Serving Size: 1 falafel patty
- Calories: 62
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 105 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.3 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg