Allow me to propose a pivot.
Brownies. For breakfast. Moreover, a healthy breakfast.
It gets even better. The brownies in question have only three ingredients. Three. You likely have the ingredients in your kitchen at this very moment:
Mix these humble ingredients–ripe bananas, cocoa powder, and almond butter–in a blender, spoon into muffin cups, and bake, and the result is intensely chocolate, fudge brownies that you can eat any time of the day for a wickedly delicious energy boost.
Use any kind of nut or seed butter you like (or coconut butter; not coconut oil). It can even be chunky-style since you’ll be blending everything anyway. It’s all delectable; believe me, I’ve made these many times, with various butters. The chocolate flavor will be more pronounced with top-quality cocoa powder, but these are stellar with store-brand cocoa powder, too.
You must, however, use very ripe, squishy bananas, both for flavor and texture. The starch in the bananas needs to break down (this happens as the banana ripens) so that there is sweetness (flavor) and more liquid than solid (texture).. So long as you stick with squishy, you will have magnificent brownies.
I sprinkled the brownies with an extra teaspoon or so of cocoa powder; no further gussying is necessary. But that should not stop you from accessorizing these any and every which way you desire. Chocolate chips. Cacao nibs. Vanilla. Spices. Raspberries. You get it :).
Here’s to each and every one of you! And here’s to celebrating all that you do with chocolate.Print
Decadent, yet healthy, brownies that are grain-free, oil-free, vegan and Paleo! Made with just 3 ingredients: almond butter, cocoa powder and a banana.
- 2 large, very ripe (squishy) bananas, peeled
- 1/3 cup almond butter (or any nut or seed butter)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, spray or line 6 cups in a standard muffin tin.
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until completely blended and smooth. Divide batter evenly between prepared cups, smoothing tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 18 minutes until firmly set at outer edges and just barely set at the center. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in pan. Run a knife around the edges and remove brownies.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week or freezer for 3 months. Will keep during the day in a lunchbag without refrigeration, so long as the surrounding temperature is not hot.
- Category: Portable Power Pucks, Dessert, Snack, Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 48 mg
- Fat: 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.6 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg