- 1 cup mashed, very ripe banana (about 2 large)
- 2/3 cup nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/2 cups cooked quinoa (see note)
- 1–1/3 cup rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, spray or line all 12 cups of a standard muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the banana, milk, syrup, flaxseed meal, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken, then stir in the quinoa, oats and baking powder until well-blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide mixture evenly between prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and tops look and feel dry to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool in tin for at least 15 minutes before removing from tin. Serve warm or cool completely.
Storage: Store the cooled muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day, in the refrigerator for 5 days or the freezer for 3 months. Rewarm, as desired, in a microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff the quinoa with a fork, and allow to cool slightly.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 8.7 g
- Sodium: 104 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate chip banana quinoa muffins, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, flourless, egg-free, dairy-free, healthy, chocolate chip