- 2/3 cup nondairy milk (I used plain almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (neutral one, like white or cider vinegar)
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or packed brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1–1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 tablespoon melted virgin coconut oil (or oil of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease or spray 9 cups of a standard muffin tin.
- In a small bowl or cup, stir together milk and vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, coconut sugar, ginger,cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- Add the milk mixture, molasses, and coconut oil; whisk until blended. Divide batter evenly among prepared cups (just under 1/4 cup for each muffin cup).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 16 minutes until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in tin set on a cooling rack. Run knife around edge of each cup and remove from tin.
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, in the refrigerator for 1 week or freezer for 3 months.
- Category: Dessert, Muffins, Bread
- Serving Size: 1 cake
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 148 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.1 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg