- 2 cups popped amaranth (about 1/2 cup unpopped–see below)
- 1/4 cup (packed) dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios (roasted or raw), chopped
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: a few drops vanilla or almond extract, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ginger or allspice
- Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper, allowing an overhang on opposite sides.
- In a large bowl, combine the popped amaranth, cranberries, and pistachios.
- In a small saucepan, combine the almond butter, brown rice syrup and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in optional flavorings, if desired, then immediately pour over amaranth mixture, stirring to coat.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Very firmly tamp down mixture (using a second pan).
- Loosely cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Use the parchment overhang to remove bars from pan. Cut into 12 bars.
How to pop amaranth:[br] Heat a deep, dry saucepan over high heat until very hot (a drop of water added to pan should bounce across the surface). Add 1 tablespoon of amaranth. Vigorously shake or stir pan until the seeds pop, about 10-12 seconds (watch closely, the seeds can burn in an instant). Immediately transfer popped amaranth to a large bowl. Repeat. You can make a large amount of popped amaranth and store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Bar Storage: Store the bars in an airtight container for 2 weeks at room temperature, 1 month in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
- Category: Energy bar, power bar, protein bar
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 10.1 g
- Sodium: 80.3 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22,2 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg