Gorgeous, delicious, 4-ingredient beet hummus! It is Paleo, vegan, oil-free, bean-free and only 42 calories per 2 tablespoon serving. You can roast beets, or go ultra-simple with ready-to-use roasted or canned beets.
- 4 medium beets, trimmed and well-scrubbed (leave peels on)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wrap the beets in foil, completely enclosing. Place foil pack on a baking sheet and roast for 50 to 60 minutes until very easily pierce with tines of a fork. Let cool completely.
- Unwrap beets. Wearing gloves, peel or rub off skins (don’t worry–they come of easily). Very coarsely chop and place in food processor.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt to processor. Process until smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
SUPER-EASY SHORTCUT VERSION: Use 1 and 1/2 15-ounce cans of peeled baby beets (or other canned, non-pickled beets) in place of roasting the beets. Drain the beets thoroughly before using.
Spice it up: Consider adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, ground coriander, and or smoked paprika or sriracha to the mix!
- Category: Spread, Snack, Appetizer
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 42
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 40.6 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg