Cheap & easy vegan protein bars, made with natural ingredients and no protein powder! They are frugal, gluten-free, & oil-free, too.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup almond milk (or nondairy/dairy milk of choice)
- 2 medium-large, ripe bananas (peeled)
- 2/3 cup peanut butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey, if not strictly vegan)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped, toasted nuts or seeds (use any combination you like!)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, spray or line a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a food processor or blender, process the chickpeas, milk, bananas, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla until blended and completely smooth. Transfer mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the oats and nuts to the bowl, stirring until completely blended. Scrape batter to prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake bars in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until deep golden brown and edges appear somewhat crispy. Place on a cooling rack and cool completely. Remove from pan and cut into 16 equal bars or squares.
Storage: Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or the freezer for 3 months.
- Category: Snacks, Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 218 mg
- Fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.7 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 9.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0.2 mg