Healthy and wholesome 4-ingredient buckwheat flax chia bread is a perfect go-with everything bread! It is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, & easy to make, too.
- 1–1/2 cups whole buckwheat groats, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3–3/4 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Place buckwheat and chia seeds in a large bowl; pour boiling water over. Let stand for 20 minutes (buckwheat should be breaking down, much of the water is absorbed).
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line 3 small (roughly 5×3-inch size) baking pans with parchment paper; lightly grease or spray remaining sides.
- Transfer roughly 2/3 of buckwheat mixture to a food processor or blender. Process, using ON/OFF pulses until almost , but not completely, smooth. Scrape back into bowl with remaining buckwheat. Vigorously stir to combine, also breaking up some of the remaining buckwheat.
- Add the flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt to bowl, stirring until blended. Spoon and spread into prepared pans, smoothing the tops.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until top appears dry and a toothpick inserted in center of each loaf come out clean.
- Transfer pans to a cooling rack and cool 10 minutes. Using parchment overhang, remove loaves from pan. Cool completely. Slice each loaf into 8 slices and eat (toasting optional, but recommended!)
Storage: Store the cooled loaves, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, Alternatively, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 46
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 87 mg
- Fat: 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.3 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg