Red lentil dal spread is the easy, high-protein snack you’ve been craving. Made with coconut milk & lime, it is vegan, easy, & so delicious!
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped onions (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (stir it well before measuring)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, leaving lid ajar, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are very tender and falling apart. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, cumin, ginger, turmeric, and cayenne; cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are softened. Add lentils and their cooking liquid, salt, coconut milk and tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes or until lentils are broken down.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime zest and lime juice. Let cool completely; adjust seasonings to taste. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Storage: Store the spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Category: Spread
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 36
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 108 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.7 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: red lentils, red lentil dal, red lentil dal spread, high protein, plant protein snack, coconut, lime, red lentil hummus