Decadent double chocolate banana bread that is vegan, grain-free and gluten-free because it is made with chickpea flour! Healthy for breakfasts or snacks on the go, it can also double as dessert.
- 1 and 1/4 cups (150 g) chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 to 4 large bananas)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two opposing sides. Grease or spray the paper and exposed sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the bananas, maple syrup, oil, water and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 43 to 48 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then hold onto the paper overhang to transfer it directly to the rack to cool completely. Peel off the paper, slice and serve.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 1 day, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins: Divide the batter among 16 greased muffin cups (in 2 standard muffin tins). Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 10.1 g
- Sodium: 161 mg
- Fat: 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.2 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea flour, chocolate, chickpea flour chocolate banana bread, vegan, egg-free, dairy-free, vegan chickpea flour banana bread, grain-free, gluten-free