Decadent double chocolate banana bread that is naturally grain-free and gluten-free because it is made with chickpea flour! Healthy for breakfasts or snacks on the go, it can also double as dessert.
- 1 cup chickpea flour (also called garbanzo bean flour)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1–1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (e.g., coconut oil, avocado oil, safflower)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two opposing sides. Grease or spray the paper and exposed sides of the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg until blended. Stir in the bananas, honey, oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 43 to 48 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then hold onto the paper overhang to transfer it directly to the rack to cool completely. Peel off the paper, slice and serve.
Make it Vegan: (1) Replace the eggs with a “flax egg” or “chia egg”: For each egg, combine 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal or ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water. Let stand for 10-15 minutes to thicken before using. (2) Replace the honey with an equal amount of maple syrup.
Sweetener: You can use an equal amount of maple syrup, coconut sugar or packed brown sugar in place of the honey.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins: Divide the batter among 16 greased muffin cups (in 2 standard muffin tins). Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months (Let frozen bread thaw at room temperature for 4 to 6 hours before serving.)
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 10.1 g
- Sodium: 161 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.2 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 15.5 mg