Delicious, crunchy, healthy biscotti made with almond flour and coconut flour instead of grains! The recipe is naturally paleo and can be made vegan, too, by subbing flax or chia eggs for the eggs.
- 1–1/3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Whisk in the oil, honey, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until completely combined. Add the almonds, if using.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared sheet and shape into an even, rectangular log that is about 3 inches wide, 12-13 inches long and 3/4-inch high.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and set at the center. Place sheet pan on a cooling rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Use parchment liner to lift log to a cutting boar. Cut crosswise into 3/4-inch wide slices. Return parchment to baking sheet and arrange slices, cut side up, on sheet pan. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes; turn over and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cut sides are golden. Turn off oven and cool completely in oven.
Make it Vegan: (1) Replace the two eggs with “flax eggs” or “chia eggs”: For each egg, combine 1 tablespoon of meal flaxseed or ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water. Let stand for 10-15 minutes to thicken before using. You can use whole chia seeds, but I find I get better gelling power by grinding them first (plus, no chia seeds stuck in your teeth when munching!). (2) Replace the honey with an equal amount of maple syrup.
Flavor Change-Up: Nix the vanilla and lemon and add any other flavors you like (e.g., almond extract, lime zest, etc). and add up to 1/2 cup of your favorite mix-ins (e.g., mini chocolate chips, seeds, chopped nuts, etc).
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Serving Size: 1 biscotto
- Calories: 83
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 37 mg
- Fat: 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 18.6 mg