A simple, grain-free & gluten-free pie crust made with chickpea flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and salt.
- Add the softened coconut oil (or butter, or ghee), water and maple syrup; using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until completely blended (do not worry about “overworking” the dough–you cannot overwork it!)
- Evenly press the dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, crimping edge, if desired. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Unbaked Crust: the crust is ready for use in baked pie recipes calling for an unbaked crust (i.e., simply fill and bake). It can also be loosely covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to fill and bake.
- Par-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 5 to 6 times with fork. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and use in baked pie recipes calling for par-baked crust.
- Fully-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 5 to 6 times with fork. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for fully-baked crust.
Vegan Option: Use the coconut oil option (in place of the butter).
Savory Pie Crust: Omit the maple syrup and add an extra 2 to 3 teaspoons of water.
Sweetener Options: I not vegan, an equal amount of honey can be used in place of the maple syrup. An equal amount of granulated sweetener (e.g., coconut sugar) + 2 to 3 extra teaspoons water can also be used in place of the maple syrup.
Note: Nutrition calculations were made using coconut oil.
- Category: Pie Crust, Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 156.6 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea flour, pie crust, 3 ingredients, grain-free, grain-free pie crust, easy, no-roll, gluten-free, nut-free