A simple, grain-free & gluten-free pie crust made with chickpea flour.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (180 g) chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4–1/2 tabespoons unsalted butter, coconut oil or ghee, softened
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and salt.
- Add the melted butter, water and maple syrup; using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until completely blended (do not worry about “overworking” the dough–you cannot overwork it!)
- Evenly press the dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, crimping edge, if desired. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Unbaked Crust: the crust is ready for use in recipes calling for an unbaked crust. It can also be loosely covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to fill and bake.
- Par-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 5 to 6 times with fork. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for par-baked crust.
- Fully-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 5 to 6 times with fork. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for fully-baked crust.
Vegan Option: Use the coconut oil option (in place of the butter).
Savory Pie Crust: Omit the maple syrup and add an extra 2 to 3 teaspoons of water.
Sweetener Options: An equal amount of honey can be used in place of the maple syrup. An equal amount of granulated sweetener can also be used; add 2 to 3 extra teaspoons water.
- Category: Pie Crust, Pastry