Rich and decadent vegan tigernut flour brownies made without eggs, dairy or grains! They are naturally gluten-free, paleo, nutrient dense, and only 100 calories each!
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (preferably ground)
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- Optional toppings: chocolate chips or chunks, chopped nuts or seeds
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the milk and chia seeds. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes until gelled.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; grease or spray the exposed sides.
- In a large bowl, sift together the tigernut flour, cocoa powder, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the chia mixture, oil, and maple syrup, stirring until blended and smooth.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle with any toppings, as desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 18 minutes until the top of the brownies appears dry and the edges are just pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely in pan. Use parchment overhang to remove brownies to a cutting board. Cut into squares.
Storage: Store the brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dessert, Bars, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 6.8 g
- Sodium: 144 mg
- Fat: 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tigernut, tiger nut, tigernut flour, brownies, grain-free, gluten-free, vegan, egg-free, gluten-free