- 1–1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto (vegan pesto to keep it vegan, or any variety if not vegan)
- fine sea salt (to taste, as desired)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Liberally grease or spray 9 cups of a standard size muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and baking powder. Slowly whisk in the water until blended and smooth. Whisk in the pesto.
- Taste batter and add salt (to taste) as desired (the batter should taste somwhat salty; it will vary by type of pesto).
- Divide batter equaly between prepared cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 24 to 27 minutes until lightly puffed and light golden on top (do not overbake, or they will lose their “eggy” texture).
- Cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges of each cup with a knife and carfeully remove each cup.
- Serve warm or cool completely.
Variation: Replace the pesto with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon fine sea salt for plain egg cups. Add in any herbs, spices, or cooked vegetables you like!
Nutrition: The nutrition calculation will vary slightly depending on the type of pesto you use.
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for 6 months.
- Category: Breakfast, Entree, Snack
- Serving Size: 1 pesto cup
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 151 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 1.7 mg