Delicious, nutritious, and easy-to-prepare baked falafel that are made with pepitas (no beans!). They are naturally vegan and paleo and are high in fiber and protein–perfect for a meals or a portable snack!
- 1–1/4 cups pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 medium-large carrots, trimmed, cut into chunks
- 1 big handful cilantro leaves (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cooking spray (e.g., olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil spray)
- Optional: extra pepitas for pressing on top of patties
- In a small bowl, cover the pepitas with the boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes and then drain.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, finely chop the carrots and cilantro. Add the drained pepitas, oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Process the mixture, stopping to scrape down the bowl periodically, until mixture is thick and comes together into a shapeable “dough.”
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of mixture at a time and shape into 1/2-inch thick patties; place on prepared baking sheet. Spray tops of falafel with cooking spray. If desired, press a few extra pepitas on top of each patty.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and edges appear crispy. Serve hot, warm or chilled, in salads, tucked into wraps, as a main dish, or solo as a portable power snack!
Troubleshooting: If the processed “dough” seems too wet, add a teaspoon or two of coconut flour, or additional finely ground pepitas. If dough is too dry, add a small amount of water at a time until it is pliable.
Cilantro Sub: An equal amount of parsley can be used in place of the cilantro.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 falafel patty
- Calories: 68
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 147 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: keto falafel, pepita falafel, falafel without beans, paleo falafel, no beans, egg-free, dairy-free, keto vegan falafel