These make-ahead, on-the-go carrot cake millet breakfast bars are vegan, gluten-free, low fodmap, and only 94 calories per big square.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked millet
- 1 cup nondairy milk (or dairy, as desired)
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi-packed shredded peeled carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the millet; reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until the millet is plumped up and almost all of the water is absorbed.
- While millet simmers, line a 9-inch baking pan with foil or parchment. Spray the sides (otherwise the bars will stick to paper/foil). Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour and spread into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes until golden brown and firm at the center. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Remove from pan and cut into 9 squares. Serve cooled, chilled, or rewarm in the microwave for 15 to 45 seconds, as desired.
Storage: Store the cooled bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 6 months.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 94
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 173 mg
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: millet, millet bars, whole millet bars, gluten-free snack bars, vegan carrot cake snack bars, egg-free, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free