Spicy, citrusy, mustard greens-pepita pesto, the perfect midwinter sauce for pasta, or as a spread or dip. The ingredients also make it an ideal exercise recovery food!
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 large bunch mustard greens, ends trimmed off, then coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Grate 2 teaspoons lemon zest from the lemon. Cut in half and squeeze out 1-1/2 tablespoons juice.
- In a large food processor, process the mustard greens, pepitas and garlic, using on/off pulses, until finely chopped. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil, stopping to scrape the sides of bowl once or twice.
- Serve with pasta, as a spread, or as a dip.
Storage: Store the pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or freezer for up to 6 months.
- Category: Spread, Dip
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 35 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.6 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg