A healthy, portable, convenient breakfast, reimagined as chocolate pudding cups! They are 100% creamy & delicious, as well as naturally vegan, paleo, grain-free & gluten-free.
- 1 cup & 2 tablespoons nondairy milk
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup packed whole (pitted) dates
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1–1/2 tablespoons arrowroot (see options below)
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a blender (high-speed, if available), process all of the ingredients EXCEPT the vanilla until completely smooth (stop and scrape down sides several times). Scrape mixture into a medium saucepan.
- Cook and stir the pudding over medium-low heat about 5 to 6 minutes until a few bubbles start to appear, and break, at the surface. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Spoon the pudding into 4 glass jars, ramekins, bowls, or vessels of your choice. Press a small piece of parchment paper, wax paper or plastic wrap onto the surface of each. Refrigerate until cold.
Dates: If the dates you have on hand are no super-soft, give them a soak in hot water for at least 10 minutes, then drain and proceed as directed. Softened dates are far easier to blend until smooth (especially important if you are using a regular blender).
Arrowroot Sub: An equal amount of tapioca starch or cornstarch can be sue din place of the arrowroot.
Storage: Store the covered puddings in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 117
- Sugar: 17.9 g
- Sodium: 126 mg
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.7 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg