- 6 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspooon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly cracked pepper
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch thick batons or slices
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Optional: fresh cilantro, mint or parsely leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lentils: In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the lentils, garlic, tumeric, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are very tender and beginning to fall apart (add more water, if needed).
- Remove garlic from lentils; squeeze out the soft garlic on a cutting board. Finely chop garlic and stir back into lentils.
- Carrots: While lentils cook, place carrots on prepared baking sheet. Spray carrots with cooking spray; sprinkle with cinnamon & paprika, and then season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes until tender and browned at edges.
- Divide lentils between bowls and top each with an equal amount of roasted carrots. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, if using.
Storage: Store the cooled lentils and carrots in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Spices: An equal amount of chili powder or ground cumin can be used in place of the smoked paprika. An equal amount of curry powder can be used in place of the turmeric.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Serving Size: 1/3 of total recipe
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 429 mg
- Fat: 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.9 g
- Fiber: 20.2 g
- Protein: 17.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: high protein, vegan protein, plant protein, red lentils, frugal red lentil dinner recipe, Moroccan lentils, what to make with red lentils, easy dinner, vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, spicy