California-style Shakshuka, made with chickpeas and avocado in place of the usual eggs. It is vegan, grain-free, & gluten-free.
- 1–1/2 cups chunky, good-quality marinara sauce (I used one with peppers & onions)
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes & their juices
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium avocado, halved, peeled, pitted
- Optional: 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- large handful of fresh parsley or cilantro leaves, roughly torn
- Serving suggestion: Crusty bread
- In a 9- or 10-inch skillet, stir together the marinara, tomatoes & juices, cumin, paprika, pepper and chickpeas. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the sauce just begins to bubble, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, thinly slice each avocado half, dividing each portion in half (four quarters total); fan out each 1/4 portion.
- Place each portion of avocado evenly on surface of tomato sauce; drizzle avocado with olive oil, if using. Let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes longer to warm the avocado. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread!
Smoked paprika substitution: An equal amount of sweet paprika or chili powder can be used in place of the smoked paprika.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Lunch
- Serving Size: 1/4 of dish
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 712 mg
- Fat: 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.3 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg