Your new favorite veggie patties: my Vegan Grain-Free Beet Burgers! They are loaded with nutrition, oil-free, gluten-free, and absolutely scrumptious!
- 1 pound trimmed, scrubbed beets (about 3 medium)
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1–1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1–1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Tightly wrap beets in foil and place on one side of a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place mushrooms on a piece of parchment paper (roughly half the size of baking sheet). Lightly spry with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Open oven and place parchment with mushrooms on other side of sheet. Bake for 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and let mushrooms and beets cool completely.
- Peel the cooled beets and roughly cut into medium pieces. Place beets and mushrooms in a large food processor; pulse until finely chopped (but not a puree). Add the beans, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper; pulse until beans are roughly chopped (but not a puree). Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in the water until blended, and then stir in the coconut flour. Let stand for 10 minutes. The burger mixture should be stiff enough to form into patties (if not, add more coconut flour, a teaspoon at a time).
- Using a heaping 1/2-cup for each, form the mixture into 6 equal patties, about 3/4-inch thick. Store the patties, or cook.
- Baking the patties: Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place patties on sheet, spacing evenly. Spray patties with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until heated through and slightly crispy at edges.
- Serve with any and all of your favorite accompaniments.
Storage: Store the burgers, individually wrapped in parchment or wax paper , in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Shortcut version: Omit the roasting of the beets & mushrooms. Instead, use 1-1/12 (15-ounce) cans of whole baby beets (NOT pickled), drained, or 2 packages of ready-roasted beets (in the produce department). Saute the mushrooms in a large skillet, in 2 teaspoons of oil, for 6 to 7 minutes until softened and browned, Cool mushrooms completely, Proceed as directed in recipe.
Smoked Paprika Sub: An equal mount of chili powder can be used in pace of the smoked paprika.
- Category: Entree, Burgers, Sandwich
- Serving Size: 1 patty
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 521 mg
- Fat: 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.4 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg