Amazing chickpea flour chocolate cake that is grain-free, vegan and gluten-free! In addition, a simple cocoa-powder frosting that is paleo, vegan, grain-free and easy.
- Cake Layers:
- 2 and 2/3 cups (320 g) chickpea flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (375 mL) coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup (80 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot (not boiling) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 and 1/3 cups (325 mL) virgin coconut oil, solid (not melted)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) maple syrup (or honey, if not vegan)
- 2/3 cup (54 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) nondairy milk (more, if needed)
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Optional: large pinch of sea salt and/or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake Layers: Preheat oven to 350F. Oil or spray the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans (with 2-inch sides).
- In a large bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until no lumps remain.
- Add the coconut milk, hot water, coconut oil and vanilla to bowl. Vigorously whisk until completely smooth. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Transfer cakes to cooling racks and cool 15 minutes before inverting onto racks. Cool completely. Wrap cakes in clean dish towels and refrigerate until cold.
- Chocolate Frosting: Place the coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa powder, milk and salt in a food processor or high speed blender. Process, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl several times, until completely blended, thick and smooth, adding a bit more milk, if needed.
- Place one chilled cake layer on a cake plate or stand and spread with half of frosting. Top with second cake layer and spread top with remaining frosting. Serve, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Chickpea Flour: Note that other grain-free flours (especially coconut flour) will not work in place of the chickpea flour in this recipe without significant reworking of the ingredient (proportions and other added ingredients) and re-testing.
Frosting: The frosting will hold in a cool room for about 1 hour. If the temperature is warm, keep the frosted cake in the refrigerator until just before serving.
Cupcakes: The cake batter can also be made into 24 cupcakes. Bake at 350F for about 13 to 17 minutes.
13×9 Cake: The cake batter can be made into one 13×9-inch sheet cake. Bake at 350F for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chickpea flour, chocolate cake, grain-free, gluten-free, vegan, chocolate layer cake, vegan, vegan chocolate cake