DIY vegan chocolate coconut RX bars that are easy to make, high in protein (11g each), and incredibly delicious!
- 1–1/2 cups whole, pitted dates
- 1 cup raw whole almonds
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened flake coconut
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate or vanilla plant-based protein powder (do not pack it in when measuring)
- 3 to 5 tablespoons water
- Line an 8- or 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- If dates are very soft, do not soak. Otherwise, soak the dates in hot water (not boiling) for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a large food processor, process the almonds and coconut until finely chopped. Add the drained dates; process until finely chopped and mixture is blended and thick.
- Add the cocoa powder, (optional) chia seeds, salt, , about half of the protein powder, and 3 tablespoons of the water. Pulse, using on/of pulses; gradually add the remaining protein powder and pulse until mixture comes together, adding more water as needed, and scraping down the sides of the bowl several times.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan; very firmly tamp down in an even layer. Loosely cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before removing from pan and cutting into 8 bars.
Storage: Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Adding the Protein Powder: Since plant protein powders can vary significantly from one brand to the next, begin by adding HALF of the recommended protein powder to the date-nut mixture, then gradually add the remaining portion (less, or more) until the mixture forms a stiff, but not dry, dough.
Note: I used Orgain Orgaic Protein Powder in my testing. I have no affiliation with the company, in any capacity. It’s simply a brand that I like (it is widely available and reasonably priced, too)
- Category: Snacks, Protein Bar, Energy Bar
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 21.6 g
- Sodium: 159 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.3 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg