Incredible split pea tortillas, made with nothing but dried split peas, water & salt. They are grain-free, oil-free, sugar-free, vegan, high in fiber, and high in protein.
- 1 cup dried split peas (yellow or green), rinsed and drained
- 2 and 2/3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the rinsed split peas and water in a medium bowl or other container; loosely cover. Let stand, at room temperature, for at least 6 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Do not drain split peas.
- Add the entire contents of bowl (soaked peas and remaining water) and salt to a blender. Blend on HIGH speed until completely smooth (no tiny bumps) stopping multiple timesto scrape down the sides of container (it will take 2 to 3 minutes). The batter should be very smooth. Scrape into a bowl or measuring cup.
- Heat a nonstick skillet (well-seasoned cast iron skillet is ideal), or a nonstick griddle, to medium heat (no hotter).
- Once warm, add 1/3 cup of batter to the center of the pan. Using a metal spoon, spread the batter into a 6-inch circle.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes until surface of tortilla appears dry. Slide a spatula underneath and flip. Cook about 1 minute longer to brown other side. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
Storage: Store the cooled tortillas in a covered container at room temperature for 1 day, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tip: You can find dried split peas shelved alongside other dry beans and legumes at the supermarket.
- Category: Bread, Tortilla
- Serving Size: 1 tortilla
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 74.1 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg