- Combine the rinsed lentils and water in a medium bowl or other container; loosely cover. Let stand, at room temperature, for at least 6 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper; spray or grease exposed sides.
- Do not drain lentils.
- Add the entire contents of bowl (soaked lentils and remaining water) and salt to a blender. Blend on HIGH speed until completely smooth (no tiny bumps) stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of container.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender; blend until combined, stopping to scrape down once or twice. Spoon and spread into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 19 to 23 minutes or until bread is risen, appears dry on the surface, and a toothpick inserted near center of bread comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Use parchment to remove bread from pan and cool completely, or serve warm. Cut into 16 squares or 8 larger rectangles (for sandwich-size pieces).
Storage: Store the cooled bread in a covered container at room temperature for 1 day, the refrigerator for 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Serving tip: Although the bread is still good when cold, it is most delicious when warmed a little bit. 8-10 seconds in the microwave is perfect.
Tip: Split red lentils have become widely available in recent years. You can find them in most grocery stores, shelved alongside other dry beans and legumes. They are not expensive, either (about $2.50 for a 1-piound bag, depending on where you live).
Tip: Be sure to use split, not whole red lentils for this recipe. It should not be a problem as split red lentils are far more common (whole red lentils tend to be available in Southeast Asian markets, or, occasionally, in bulk food sections of very well stocked natural foods stores.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 square, 1/16 of recipe
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 116.3 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.2 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg