When your summer garden or famers’ market gives you zucchini, make zucchini bread! Better yet, make my 4-ingredient zucchini flatbreads, which cook on the stovetop and take minutes to prepare. They are naturally grain-free, vegan, gluten-free, and versatile (e.g., keep them plain or add herbs and spices).
- Trim the ends off of the zucchini, and then grate, using the large holes on a grater. Immediately transfer to a large bowl (so as not to lose any of the water from the zucchini). You should have about 3 cups of zucchini.
- Add the olive oil and salt to the zucchini, stirring to combine. Add the chickpea flour and 3 tablespoons of the water, stirring until blended. Add a little bit or all of the remaining water until mixture is a thick batter. Stir in the baking soda.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease or spray (with nonstick cooking spray) the skillet.
- Add about 1/3 cup of batter to the center of the pan, and, working quickly, use the back of a metal spoon to spread the batter into a 6- to 7-inch circle. Turn up the heat to medium high and cook about 2 to 3 minutes. until a metal spatula slides under the flatbread easily (bottom side should be browned in spots).Flip over and cook to 2 minutes longer until browned on other side.
- Turn flatbread out onto a cooling rack and reduce heat to medium. Repeat with remaining batter,
Storage: Store the cooled flatbreads in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tip: An equal amount of yellow squash or other summer squash can be used in place of the zucchini.
Variations: Add fresh herbs to the batter (about 1/2 cups, chopped), such as basil, cilantro, parsley, or mint (or a combination), and/or add spices (about 1 teaspoon or more of spices such as curry powder, garam masala, cumin, smoked paprika, or perhaps a generous squirt of sriracha).
- Category: Bread, Snack
- Serving Size: 1 flatbread
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 149 mg
- Fat: 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.9 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg