- 1 cup split red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (lightly spoon to measure; do not pack)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 cups blueberries
- Combine the rinsed lentils and water in a medium bowl or other container; loosely cover. Let stand, at room temperature, for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper; spray or grease exposed sides.
- Do not drain lentils.
- Add the entire contents of bowl (soaked lentils and remaining water), milk, sugar, oil and vanilla to a blender. Blend on HIGH speed until completely smooth (no tiny bumps), stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of container.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender; blend until combined, stopping to scrape down once or twice. Spoon half of batter in pan and sprinkle with half of blueberries; repeat with remaining batter and blueberries,
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread is risen, appears dry on the surface, and a toothpick inserted near center of bread comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Use parchment to remove bread from pan and cool completely, or serve warm. Cut into 16 squares.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in a covered container at room temperature for 1 day, the refrigerator for 5 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Serving tip: Although the blueberry bread is still good when cold, it is most delicious when warmed a little bit. 10-15 seconds in the microwave is perfect.
Tip: Split red lentils have become widely available in recent years. You can find them in most grocery stores, shelved alongside other dry beans and legumes. They are not expensive, either (about $2.50 for a 1-piound bag, depending on where you live).
- Category: Bread, Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1 square (1/16 of pan)
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 147 mg
- Fat: 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.7 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg