Incredible, easy-to-make, vegan feta cheese, made with chickpea flour! It is naturally soy-free, grain-free and nut-free, plus high in protein. Enjoy it plain, as a snack or appetizer, or crumble and use in any recipe calling for feta cheese.
- For the cheese:
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/2 cups water, divided
- 1–1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1–1/2 teaspoons dried herbs such as herbes de Provence, Italian herb blend, or dill
- Cheese: Set a 9×5-inch loaf pan close to your work area.
- In a small bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, salt, 3/4 cup of the water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and olive oil until blended and smooth.
- In a small saucepan, bring the remaining 3/4 cup water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the chickpea mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, for 7 to 10 minutes, until the mixture is very thick and glossy. Immediately pour and scrape it into the loaf pan, smoothing the top.
- Cool the cheese to room temperature and then place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours until very firm (or up to 5 days).
- Drain any water from the pan (water will release from the cheese as it sets); invert the cheese onto a cutting board and cut into 3/4-inch cubes.
- Marinade: In a covered container or large mason jar, combine the marinade ingredients. Add the cheese; tightly cover and turn to coat. Let marinate at least 30 minutes before using. Store the feta in the marinade.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, in the marinade, for up to three weeks.
Fat Free Feta Variation: If you do not eat oil, feel free to omit the olive oil.
- Category: Vegan Cheese
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipes (about 1 oz)
- Calories: 41
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 149 mg
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan cheese, chickpea flour, feta cheese, soy-free, nut-free, easy, chickpea flour feta cheese