This vibrant, verdant, grain-free & vegan bread will easily become your favorite bread of the summer! Made from regular lentils, coconut flour, and a heap of fresh herbs, it is ideal for snacking, sandwiches, & as an entrée accompaniment.
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup regular lentils (tan-green), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or vegetable oil of choice)
- 1–1/2 cups (packed) combination of cilantro, parsley, mint and/or basil
- 1 medium green onion,end trimmed, cut into pieces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Combine 1 cup water and rinsed lentils in a medium bowl or other container; loosely cover. Let stand, at room temperature, for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours (most of the water will be absorbed).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper; spray or grease exposed sides.
- Do not drain lentils.
- Add the entire contents of bowl (soaked lentils and any remaining liquid), remaining 1 cup water, olive oil, herbs, green onion and garlic to a blender. Blend on HIGH speed until completely smooth (no tiny bumps) stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of container.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender; blend until combined, stopping to scrape down once or twice. Spoon and spread into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread is risen, appears dry on the surface, and a toothpick inserted near center of bread comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Use parchment to remove bread from pan and cool completely, or serve warm. Cut into 16 squares.
Tip: An equal amount of red lentils (while or split) can be used in place of the tan-green lentils.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 116 mg
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg