Chickpea flour French fries, also known as panisses, are a favorite snack in Provence, and a breeze to make at home! They are naturally grain-free, vegan, high-protein and healthy.
- Lightly spray or grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt and 1 cup of the water until blended and mostly smooth (do not worry of there are some small lumps at this point).Whisk in the olive oil.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and whisk in the chickpea batter. Cook, whisking constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes until the batter is very thick. Immediately pour and spread into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Cool until room temperature and then place in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook the fries, invert onto a cutting board and cut into 1/4-inch wide fries.
- Position the broiler rack in the oven 6 to 8 inches from the heat source. Lightly grease a large sheet pan with olive oil. Place sheet in oven and preheat for 3 minutes.
- Using an oven mitt (the pan will be very hot), remove the pan from the oven and arrange the fries on the sheet.
- Broil the fries for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and flip the fries over with a spatula. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes longer until the other sides are golden brown.
- Serve immediately, seasoned with salt & pepper and lemon wedges, or with your favorite dip!
Variation: You can add fresh or dried herbs, or spices, to the chickpea flour batter to create a wide variety of custom fries
- Category: Side-Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1/4 of entire recipe
- Calories: 109
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 305.4 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chickpea flour, French fries, high protein, vegan, easy, panisses, chickpea flour French fries