Easy-to-make, vegan Cheddar cheese, made with chickpea flour! It is naturally soy-free, grain-free, oil-free and nut-free, plus high in protein. Enjoy it plain, as a snack or appetizer, grate it, or slice it for all kinds of sandwiches.
- 1 cup (120 g) chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes (such as Bragg’s)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (sweet, or smoked)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2–1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Set an 9×5-inch loaf pan close to your work area.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, paprika, onion powder, and salt. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the water until blended and smooth, and then whisk in the mustard and vinegar.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 1-1/4 cups water to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and whisk in the chickpea mixture and tahini. Cook, whisking constantly (it sets up very quickly!), for 4 to 7 minutes, until the mixture is very thick.
- Immediately scrape mixture it into the pan, smoothing the top.
- Cool the cheese to room temperature and then place it in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for at least 2 hours until very firm.
- Drain any water from the pan (water will release from the cheese as it sets); invert the cheese onto a cutting board.
- Cut, cube, slice or shred as desired!
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Tahini-Free Variation: If you do not eat seeds (tahini is made of sesame seeds), you can use an equal amount of oil (e.g., olive oil or avocado oil), or unsweetened almond butter or cashew butter.
Tip: The cheese will grate more easily after it has “set” for at least a week (it becomes firmer the more it sits). Alternatively, cut off a hunk of cheese (that you intend to grate), wrap, and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before grating.
- Category: Vegan cheese
- Serving Size: 1 oz (1/16 of recipe)
- Calories: 45
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 122 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg