Coconut flour lentil cookies are perfect for breakfast (yes!), or for packing on day trips and into school lunches! The cookies are grain-free, vegan, and easy-to-make, too.
- 1/2 cup split red lentils, rinsed and drained (to remove any debris)
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3–1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2–1/2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH ground cinnamon and ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine the lentils and the milk; loosely cover and let stand for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours. Do not drain.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process the soaked lentils and remaining milk in bowl until finely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients to processor and process until well-blended, stopping to scrape down the bowl several times. Let the cookie dough stand for 3 to 5 minutes to llow the coconut flour to absorb some of the liquid.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop by heaping tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 17 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch at the centers. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cool rack. Cool completely.
Storage: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days at cool room temperature, the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Banana Option: If you like, an equal amount of mashed, very ripe banana (about 1 large will equal 1/2 cup mashed) can be used in place of the applesauce. You may want to cut back (slightly) on the coconut sugar (e.g., 2 tablespoons instead of 2-1/2).
Sugar Options: An equal amount of brown sugar or the granulated sweetener of your choice can be used in place of the coconut sugar.
- Category: Breakfast, Cookie, Snack
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 63.1 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.9 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg