Moist, lightly sweet, and very lemon-y poppy seed bread made with almond flour! It is naturally grain-free, vegan, oil-free and made in 1 bowl (with ease!).
Hello and Happy Friday, everyone!
This week has been bittersweet. I love being able to spend more time with my son during the summer, but I am looking forward to the return to schedules and routines. As a result, this week has been a mish-mash of final fun (pool, board games, goofing around) and frenzied prep (school supplies, cleaning, sorting through clothes that are suddenly too short).
Admittedly, that sweet spot between goofy and frenzied is one of my favorite places. When I’m in it, I inevitably want to bake. I’ve been filling the freezer with quick and easy baked goods for the first few weeks of school, and this lemon poppy seed almond flour bread is a fast favorite.
It’s a breeze to make, but it’s the intense lemon flavor and moist texture that will prompt you to put this on your regular baking rotation.
Here are the specs for this nourishing bread:
Keep in mind that, like many vegan, grain-free breads, this otherwise perfect loaf may sink slightly after cooling. It should be minor, at most. So long as the bread passes the toothpick test for doneness, as described in the recipe, the bread will be evenly baked, even if some minimal sinking occurs.
Alternatively, you can avoid any sinking by making the bread into muffins. Both slices and muffins are handy–literally and figuratively!–for busy mornings on the run, or post-run. Enjoy!Print
Moist, lightly sweet, and very lemon-y poppy seed bread made with almond flour! It is naturally grain-free, vegan, and is made in 1 bowl (with ease!).
- 2 and 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freeshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray or lightly oil the paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, tapioca starch, sugar, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the applesauce, lemon zest and lemon juice to bowl, stirring until blended. Transfer batter to prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 42 to 48 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
Tip: Do not fret if the center of the bread sinks slightly after baking; it is very common with egg-free breads. Just be sure to bake until the toothpick comes out with only moist crumbs attached. The bread will be completely baked at this point, regardless of any subsequent sinking.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at room temperature for two days, the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Muffin Variation: To make muffins instead of bread, divide the batter evenly between 12 cups (lined with paper or foil liners) of a standard size muffin tin. Bake in a preheated 350F for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center of a muffin comes out with only moist crumbs attached.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 11.7
- Sodium: 196.7 mg
- Fat: 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg