This post is short and sweet, just like the recipe! It’s for vegan vanilla buttercream that is both vegan and grain-free. I created it for use with my Grain-Free & Vegan Vanilla Layer Cake recipe.
The vegan part is simple: in place of butter, I use vegan margarine sticks. Be sure to use sticks, not tub margarine. The latter has significantly more water and will throw off the proportions of the recipe. I used Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Sticks. I have zero affiliation with the brand. I chose the buttery sticks because I think that they have the best flavor, are made with expeller-pressed oils, and are trans fat-free.
The grain-free part requires finding a powdered sugar that is free of cornstarch. Powdered sugar (also known as confectioners’ sugar) is simply granulated sugar that is ground into a powder, but most brands also add cornstarch to prevent caking.
Several brands (e.g., Thrive Markets, Wholesome Sweeteners, Safeway O Organics and Whole Foods 365 brand) use tapioca starch instead of cornstarch. Check the label, as more and more brands are making the switch from cornstarch to non-grain starches.
How to Make Powdered Sugar (Confectioners’ Sugar) without Cornstarch
If you cannot find ready-to-use grain-free powdered sugar, make your own!
Regular blenders and food processors can work, too, but I recommend making a bigger batch (double or triple the amounts of sugar and starch).
How to Make Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
The buttercream itself is a breeze: beat the margarine until light and fluffy, then gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla until completely blended.
The buttercream is perfect for frosting layer cakes:
And for piping, too!
- Vegan Chickpea Flour Chocolate Cake
- Vegan and Grain-Free Vanilla Layer Cake
- Vanilla Almond Flour Cake
- Vegan Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cake
A quick and simple vanilla buttercream that is perfect for frosting and piping onto cakes and cupcakes. It is made with grain-free, cornstarch-free powdered sugar.
- 2 sticks (1 cup total) vegan margarine, softened
- 5 cups grain-free powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (see notes)
- In a large bowl, beat the with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar, stopping several times to scrape down sides of the bowl, until completely blended, light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla until incrporated.
- This makes enough frosting to frost a 2-layer cake or 24 cupcakes.
Tip: Powdered sugar is also known as confectioners’ sugar.
Tip: Be sure to use sticks, not tub margarine. The latter has a much higher water content and will alter the proportions of the recipe.
Vanilla: Technically, vanilla extract is not grain-free because it is made with alcohol, which is made from grain. Vanilla paste is made without alcohol. If you are fine using vanilla extract, use an equal amount (1 teaspoon).
- Category: Frosting, Dessert
- Method: Electric Beaters
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan frosting, vegan buttercream, vegan grain-free buttercream, no cornstarch, grain-free, vegan, frosting, buttercream, easy