A first! Rich, decadent, & delicious vanilla layer cake that is 100% grain-free and vegan! Let them eat cake!
- 2/3 cup plain nondairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (white or cider vinegar)
- 2 and 1/3 cups chickpea flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/2 cups ganulated cane sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used safflower oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (see notes)
- 2/3 cup aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas)
- 1 recipe Vanilla Buttercream (Vegan + Grain-Free)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or spray two 8-inch round baking pans and line the bottom of each with a round of parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Set aside for several minutes to curdle.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, almond flour, potato starch, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the aquafaba with an electric mixer on high speed for 4 to 6 minutes until very foamy; soft, light peaks should form when the beaters are lifted from the bowl.
- Add the milk mixture and oil to the flour mixture, whisking until completely blended. Gently stir in HALF of the aquafaba, then fold/lightly stir in the remaining aquafaba.
- Divide the batter equally between the two prepared pans.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 42 to 47 minutes until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool cakes completely in pans. Run a butter knife around edges of the pans and remove the cakes. Peel off the parchment paper.
- Fill and frost with Vanilla Buttercream, or the frosting of your choice!
Aquafaba Tip: I find that most 15-ounce cans of chickpeas have about 3/4 cup liquid (aquafaba). Go ahead and buy two cans, just in case one can does not have enough (you do not want to have to run to the store midway through prepping the batter!). Save the chickpeas for hummus or the recipe of your liking :).
Vanilla: Technically, vanilla extract is not grain-free because it is made with alcohol, which is made from grain. Vanilla paste is made without alcohol. If you are fine using vanilla extract, use an equal amount (1 tablespoon).
Cupcakes: To make cupcakes, divide the batter between 24 standard size muffin cups lined with paper or foil liners. Do not overfill the cups! The batter will come up less than halfway in each cup. Bake for 22 to 26 minutes until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
Storage: Store the frosted cake at (cool) room temperature for up to 1 day or the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The cooled, unfrosted cakes can be frozen (tightly wrapped) for up to 6 months.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grain-free vanilla cake, vegan vanilla layer cake, aquafaba, grain-free, gluten-free, almond flour, chickpea flour, frosting, vanilla birthday cake