Healthy, delicious, portable baked porridge made from coconut flour and flaxseed meal! It is naturally grain-free, oil-free and vegan, plus a keto option.
- 2/3 cup (80 g) coconut flour
- 1/3 cup (35 g) flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 and 2/3 cups (375 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) mashed very ripe bananas (see notes for options)
- Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grain-free baking powder
- 1 cup (150 g) blueberries
- Optional: 2 to 3 tablespoons pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving paper overhand on both sides (for easy removal later). Lightly oil or spray the exposed sides.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the water, bananas, (optional) sweetener, and vanilla until completely blended. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir the baking powder into the batter; spread evenly into prepared pan. Scatter with blueberries, gently pressing into batter. If using, sprinkle with pepitas.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes until deep golden brown and set at the center. Cool at least 20 minutes before lifting out of the pan (use the parchment paper overhang). Cut into 9 squares. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.
Storage:Store the cooled squares in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Banana Tips:It will take approximately 2 large bananas to equal 1 cup mashed. Be sure to use very ripe (lots of brown on the peel, very soft) bananas.
Banana Options: An equal amount of unsweetened applesauce can be used in place of the mashed banana. However, the squares will not be as sweet, so you will likely want to add some of the optional sweetener.
KETO OPTION: (1) replace the banana with unsweetened applesauce; (2) replace the blueberries with an equal amount of blackberries or raspberries; (3) If adding sweetener, use a keto-friendly sweetener (dry or liquid).
Keto version macros: Calories (75), Fat (2.3 g), Sat Fat (0.1 g), Total Carbs (12.7 g), Fiber (6 g), Sugars (3.4 g), Protein (2.2 g)
- Category: Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1/9 of recipe
- Calories: 106
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 174.3 mg
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg