Creamy, healthy, cheese and broccoli soup–with no milk or cheese! Chickpea flour creates the creamy base in this high protein (12.7 g per serving) vegan soup.
- 1 large head broccoli
- 7 cups (1.65 L) water, divided
- 1 and 1/3 cups (160 g) chickpea flour (sifted if lumpy)
- 1/2 cup (30 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2–1/2 teaspoons (12 mL) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) garlic power
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons (5 to 10 mL) fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- Cut off the broccoli florets; reserve the stems for another use. Finely chop the florets and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour and 1 and 1/2 cups (350 mL) water until blended. Add the nutritional yeast, tomato paste, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended.
- Add the chickpea mixture and the remaining water to a large saucepan, whisking until smooth. Bring to a low boil over high heat, whisking along the way.
- Reduce the medium-low and cook, whisking occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes longer until thickened. Whisk in the mustard.
- Add the broccoli to the soup, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes longer until the broccoli is tender. Add the lemon juice, as well as more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve!
Storage: Store the cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Cauliflower Variation: Prepare as directed but use an equal mount of cauliflower in place of the broccoli.
- Category: Soup
- Serving Size: 1-1/3 cups
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 303.4 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 12.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg