Hearty, high-protein (13 g), lentil and rosemary soup, made with only 3 ingredients! Fast, easy and frugal, it is also naturally vegan, oil-free, and gluten-free.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves (see notes for options)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 and 1/4 cups (225 g) brown lentils
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- In a large saucepan, heat 1/3 cup water over medium high heat. Add the onions; reduce heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes until water is evaporated and onions are a deep golden brown.
- Add the rosemary, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 30 to 60 seconds until very fragrant.
- Add the lentils and water to pan. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and continue simmering, covered, until the lentils and vegetables are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes longer. Give the soup some vigorous stirring during the final minutes of cooking (to help break up lentils).
- Taste and season with more salt or pepper as needed. If you prefer a creamier texture, use an immersion blender to partially purée the soup.
Storage: Store the completely cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Herb Options: 1-1/4 teaspoons of dried, crumbled rosemary or Italian herb seasoning, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, can be used in place of the fresh rosemary
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 293 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 13.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg