Soft banana cookies made with coconut flour (no other flours or starches!). So easy, they are naturally grain-free, vegan, Paleo, and gluten-free, plus only 49 calories each.
- 1/2 cup (130 g) mashed under-ripe banana (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons (13 g) flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) coconut palm sugar (see notes for options)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (37.5 g) coconut flour (lightly spoon to measure)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mashed banana, flaxseed meal, coconut sugar, oil ad vanilla. Add the coconut flour, baking soda and salt, stirring until blended. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, allowing the coconut flour to absorb the liquid.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop 14 mounds of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes until set at the centers and surface of the cookies appears dry,
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then carefully transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack. Cool completely.
Banana Tip: I used under-ripe bananas here rather than the usual uper-ripe bananas called for in baking recipes. The reason is that under-ripe bananas are starchier (starch has not converted into as much sugar yet). The starch acts in place of added starches such as tapioca or arrowroot.
# of Bananas: It will take about 1 very large or 2 small bananas to produce 1/2 cup mashed banana. Since bananas vary in size, best results will be achieved by using the exact measurement (1/2 cup) as opposed to general size of bananas.
Tip: I used safflower oil to make these, but you can use any oil or fat your prefer. If using melted coconut oil for the oil, combine the banana mixture and flour before adding the melted oil (otherwise, the coconut oil may clump into firm bits).
Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 1 day, the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 49
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 46.2 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg