10-minute, 6 ingredient vegan queso, made with chickpea flour! It is naturally soy-free, grain-free, oil-free and nut-free, plus high in protein. Enjoy it with all of your favorite Tex-Mex dishes!
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, mashed (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons tahini (see notes for options)
- Optional: sriracha or other hot sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, chipotle chile powder, cumin, garlic, vinegar and salt with 1/2 cup of the water until blended and smooth.
- In a small saucepan, bring the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups water to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and whisk in the chickpea mixture and tahini. Cook, whisking constantly (it sets up very quickly!), for 4 to 7 minutes, until the mixture hot, bubbling, and thickened.
- Transfer queso to a serving bowl and drizzle with sriracha, if desired. Serve immediately with your favorite chips and other dippers.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. Reheat in a small saucepan set over low heat, whisking until smooth, or reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
Tahini-Free Variation: If you do not eat seeds (tahini is made of sesame seeds), you can use an equal amount of oil (e.g., olive oil or avocado oil), or unsweetened almond butter or cashew butter.
- Category: Vegan cheese
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 152.8 mg
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg