Delicious, nutritious, 1-ingredient buckwheat bread ! Made with whole buckwheat (plus water and salt), it is flourless and naturally oil-free, gluten-free and vegan.
- 2 and 1/2 cups (460 g) buckwheat groats, rinsed
- (optional) fine sea salt
- Place the rinsed buckwheat in a large glass bowl; fill with water, enough to cover buckwheat by 2 inches (5 cm). Loosely cover with a cloth napkin or towel. Soak in the refrigerator for a least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Drain buckwheat through a mesh strainer; set strainer over bowl and let continue to drain for a minute longer (the liquid will be gooey). DO NOT RINSE.
- In a food processor or blender, place the drained buckwheat, 1 and 1/4 cups (310 mL) fresh water, and optional salt (I recommend 1/2 teaspoon). Process until blended but the batter still has some texture (see photo).
- Pour buckwheat batter back into a large glass bowl and cover with a kitchen cloth. Either
- Refrigerate: Store batter in refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours or
- Ferment: Let the batter stand in a cool dark place for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours (it will rise slightly and get a bit bubby. It will also have a somewhat sour smell from the fermentation).
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C). Spray or grease a 9×5-inch (22.5x 12.5 cm) loaf pan; pour in batter, being careful not to deflate any bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until browned (especially at edges) and completely firm/set at the center.
- Cool completely in pan set on a cooling rack.
Storage: Store the cooled bread wrapped in a cloth at cool room temperature for 2 days, in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Add-Ins: If you like add in nuts and/or seeds (up to 1 cup total), dried herbs, or spices. Add to the blender when blending the buckwheat (for finely chopped pieces of nuts and seeds), or stir in after blending and before the batter ferments. You do not want to stir in additions after fermenting as it can deflate the batter.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/14 of loaf)
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 83.1 mg
- Fat: 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: 1-ingredient buckwheat bread, buckwheat groats, 1-ingredient, gluten-free, gluten-free bread, oil-free, sugar-free