Positively scrumptious cheezy stuffed tomatoes that are easy to make with only 5 ingredients. Only 40 calories apiece, they are also keto, vegan, paleo and oil-free!
- 4 medium, round vine-ripened tomatoes (~1 pound/500 g total)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fine sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line a small baking sheet or pan with parchment paper.
- Cut tops (crosswise) off of the tomatoes; discard tops. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and pulp (use a small knife to help with this, as needed). Roughly chop the larger pieces of pulp. The pulp should measure about 2/3 cup (150mL).
- In a small bowl, combine the pulp, coconut flour, nutritional yeast, basil and garlic; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes on prepared baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to30 minutes or until stuffing is browned and tomatoes are tender. Serve hot, warm, room temperature or cold.
Storage: Store the completely cooled tomatoes in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave for 30to 60 seconds or enjoy at room temperature or cold.
Tip: 3 and 1/2 tablespoons(57 mL) of almond flour or almond meal can be used in place of the coconut flour.
Herb Options: Use the herbs of your choice, including fresh parsely, dill or cilantro. 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of dried basil, Italian herb blend or Herbes de Provence can be used in place of the fresh basil.
- Category: Side-Dish, Vegetables
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed tomato
- Calories: 40
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 86.7 mg
- Fat: 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg