Easy, healthy and all-around delicious granola that happens to be oil-free, vegan, and gluten-free! Vary the spices, nuts/seeds and dried fruits to make it your own unique blend.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (26 g) flaxseed meal or ground chia seeds
- 1/4 cup (36 g) coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 2 and 1/4 cups (203 g) old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as for 100% GF)
- 1/2 cup (~70 g) coarsely chopped raw nuts, seeds, or a mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit
Preheat oven to 300F (150F). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine the water, flaxseed meal, coconut sugar, vanilla, cardamom and salt in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, combine the oats and nuts/seeds. Add the flax mixture, stirring to completely coat.
Spoon and spread the granola in an even layer onto the prepared pan. Be careful not to spread too thin at the edges.
Bake in the preheated oven for 32 to 38 minutes, stirring halfway through baking time, until light golden brown and completely dry to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack. Using a pancake turner or large spoon, firmly press down the granola (this will help form clumps). Cool completley without stirring.
Break the cooled granola into pieces and stir in the dried fruit, if adding.
- Storage: Store granola in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Sugar Options: An equal amount of the granulated sugar or other granulated sweetener of your choice can be used in place of the coconut sugar. Maple syrup or other liquid sweeteners can also be used. Use an equal amount as the coconut sugar and reduce the water to 3 tablespoons (45 mL).
- Nuts/Seeds: Vary the Nuts and seeds to your heart’s content or based on what you have on hand. You can substitute the nuts/seeds with any equal amount of unsweetened coconut (flakes or shredded) or more oats.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 114.6 mg
- Fat: 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.1 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg