Healthy 3-ingredient almond flour shortbread, ready to eat in under 30 minutes! They are also vegan, Paleo, grain-free, gluten-free, and keto (with one ingredient swap).
It is 100 degrees outside, but I cannot help myself: I am ready for fall baking to begin!
School starts next Monday, so I am planning ahead, filling the freezer with quick and easy options I can add to lunches.
Confession: it’s mostly cookies. I’ll get around to savory options soon enough, but I need to be true to my cookie monster self :).
My 3 ingredient almond flour cookies continue to be a hit, so I decided it was time for more of a good thing. Specifically, 3-Ingredient Almond Flour Shortbread!
These cookies are tender, teatime-perfect shortbread heaven. They are also:
- Keto (with one easy ingredient swap)
Fast , Easy & Foolproof Grain-Free Shortbread
They are ridiculously easy, and almost foolproof, too. Simply mix together 1 cup of blanched almond flour (not almond meal), 2 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or a keto substitute), and 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, plus 1 tablespoon water and a pinch of salt.
No Electric Mixer and No Chilling Required
You read correctly: this shortbread cookie dough is made with MELTED coconut oil. No electric mixer required. A bowl, a spoon, and about 30 seconds of stirring are all that you need for the preparation.
Moreover, the dough does not need to chill before baking.
Simply roll the dough into balls, place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and flatten halfway. I chose a fork for my flattening, but a cookie stamp, the flat bottom of a measuring cup, or fingertips will also do the trick.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the centers no longer look wet. The cookies will still seem somewhat soft, but that is due to the high amount of fat (almond flour + coconut oil). They will become firm once completely cooled.
That’s it! With minimal time and effort, a dozen delectable shortbread cookies are yours for the eating.
You can double or triple the recipe according to the needs of your household, or the occasion.
Like my other minimalist cookie recipes, the opportunities for flavor personalization are boundless. Some quick ideas to jumpstart your creativity include the following:
(1) Extracts: replace 1/2 teaspoon of the water with vanilla extract, or 1/4 teaspoon of the water with almond, orange or lemon extract;
2) Citrus: replace the water with an equal amount of freshly squeezed lemon, lime or orange juice and add 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, lime, or orange zest
(3) Spices: add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite spice (you can taste the dough to determine how much; begin with a little add more as needed). For example, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, or nutmeg.
(4) Chocolate: Add 2 to 3 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (sugar-free, keto-friendly options for keto cookies). Cacao nibs are also an excellent choice (they have no sugar and are naturally keto).
Happy baking, and stay cool!