5 ingredient blueberry maple baked pancake, made with chickpea flour! Similar to French clafouti, it is vegan, grain-free, nut-free, gluten-free, and oil-free.
- 1 and 1/3 cups (160 g) chickpea flour (sifted if lumpy)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) full-fat (canned) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) blueberries
- Optional: additional maple syrup for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 450F (225C). Spray or grease a 9-inch round ceramic or glass tart pan or pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt unil smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; evenly scatter blueberries over batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and just firm at the center. (Note: see my note about puffing!) Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool at least 20 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm, or cool completely, or chill until cold. Drizzle with additional maple syrup, if desired.
Center Puffing: Sometimes the center of the pancake may puff up–sometimes, dramatically! Not to worry, all is fine; give the center a light poke or two with a toothpick or fork. It will settle into place in moments as the pancake cools.
Storage: Store the leftover, cooled pancake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing; the consistency is off when the pancake is defrosted due to loss of water.
Coconut Milk Options: You can use another nondairy milk in place of the coconut milk. However, since the coconut milk is providing the fat for the recipe, I strongly suggest adding some kind of fat (i.e., 1 to 2 tablespoons of the fat/oil of your choice) along with the other nondairy milk you choice.
Fruit Options: You can sub almost any other fruit you like for the blueberries! For example, cherries, peaches, apricots, apples, pears, figs, you name it!
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Serving Size: 1/8 of pancake
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 90.4 mg
- Fat: 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.4 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg