Healthfully decadent, double chocolate, 100% flax breakfast cookies! Made in a muffin tin with only 5 ingredients, they are vegan, grain-free, oil-free, paleo and keto (with an ingredient swap).
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened natural nut butter (e.g., almond, cashew, peanut)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) coconut sugar (see notes for keto)
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) boiling water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (80 g) flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips (see notes for keto)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease or spray the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a a medium bowl, combine the nut butter, coconut sugar, boiling water, cocoa powder and optional vanilla until blended and glossy.
- Stir in the flaxseed meal (the mixture should be thick, but if it is especially stiff, add a little bit more water).
- Either stir in chocolate chips, or wait, and sprinkle on top.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared muffin cups. If second option was chosen above, sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17 to 19 minutes until the surface of the cookies appears dry and the centers feel just firm to the touch.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges to loosen, then remove and place on rack to cool completely
Nut-Free Cookies For nut-free cookies, use an equal amount of creamy seed butter (e.g. sunflower butter or tahini) in place of the nut butter.
Storage Tip: Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Keto Option: Use an equal amount of keto-friendly granular sweetener in place of the coconut sugar. Leave out the chocolate chips or replace with sugar free chocolate chips.
- Keto macros per cookie without chocolate chips: [Calories: 77 / fat: 6.2 g/ sat. fat: 0.6 g/ carbohydrates:4.6 g / sugars: 1 g]
- Keto macros per cookie with sugar-free chocolate chips: [Calories: 88 / fat: 6.9 g/ sat. fat: 1.1 g/ carbohydrates:6.1 g / sugars: 1 g]
Sweetener Options: An equal amount of brown sugar or plain sugar can be used in place of the coconut sugar.
- Category: breakfast cookie, snack
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 7.7 g
- Sodium: 51.1 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 11.6 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg