Cauliflower rice paella! It is fast, easy and delicious, as well as naturally vegan, grain-free, keto-friendly and Paleo-friendly.
- 1 medium (~6 in/15 cm diameter) head cauliflower, riced (see DIY cauliflower rice post)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned, petite-diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) water, white wine or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh parsley leaves, minced
- Optional: lemon wedges
- Begin by making the cauliflower rice. If using packaged cauliflower rice, skip to step 2.
- In a paella pan or large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, cook and stir for 30 seconds longer.
- Add the smoked paprika, turmeric, thyme, salt and tomatoes to skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the water; cook and stir 30 seconds and then add the cauliflower. Cook, stirring to coat and combine the cauliflower, for 4 to 5 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat and sprinkle with the peas. Cover pan; let stand for 3 minutes. Remove lid, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with optional lemon wedges.
Storage: Store the completley cooled paella in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Ready to Use Cauliflower Rice: Fresh bags of ready-to-use cauliflower rice (sometimes called cauliflower pearls) are often available in produce departments, located near bags of salad greens. If using this option, you will need approximately 6 cups (1.5L).
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recip (about 1 cup)
- Calories: 93
- Sugar: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 302 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.6 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg