Delicious 2-ingredient flax bread made with flaxseed meal & baking powder (plus water and optional salt)–that’s all! It is naturally vegan, keto, paleo, oil-free, grain-free, nut-free and sugar free. You will love it!
- 2 and 1/2 cups (260 g) flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (grain-free, as needed)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 and 1/3 cups (325 mL) water
- Preheat oven to 400F(200C). Grease or spray (with nonstick cooking spray) a 9×5-inch (22.5×12.5cm); line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal, baking powder and (optional) salt. Add the water, stirring until completely combined (the dough will be very thick, but moist).
- Scrape the dough into the prepared pan and press into place with your fingertips. Moisten your fingertips to smooth and flatten the surface of the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes until risen and browned (note: it is normal for the surface to feel quite hard; it softens as it cools).
- Cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 10 minutes. Use the parchment paper to removed the bread from the pan. Cool completely before slicing.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 3 days, the refrigeator for 2 weeks, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Flaxseed Meal Tips: I used regular flaxseed meal for photos in this post. Golden flaxseed works equally well; it will produce a much lighter brown loaf. For best results, just be sure to use fresh flaxseed meal; flaxseed meal can develop “off” flavors if it is old and/or improperly stored.
Tip: For larger sandwich-style slices, cut the bread lengthwise. It is easier if you first cut the loaf in half, crosswise, then slice each half lengthwise.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/20th of loaf)
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 73.1 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: 2 ingredients, flax, flaxseed meal, bread, healthy bread, keto, vegan, paleo, sugarfree, zero sugar, oil-free, yeast-free, grain-free