Healthy and amazing stir-fried sesame-ginger soba noodle lettuce cups! Ready in 15 minutes, these mushroom-filled wraps are naturally gluten-free and packed with nutrition.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) tahini
- 1/3 cup (125 mL) hot water
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or dark brown sugar)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided use
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili-garlic sauce (or sriracha)
- 4 ounces buckwheat soba noodles (see notes for options)
- 8 ounces (250 g) shitake or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into matchstick pieces
- 8 butter lettuce leaves or 16 gem lettuce leaves
- Optional toppings: minced green onions, white and/or black sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk the tahini, hot water, soy sauce, coconut sugar, lime juice, ginger, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, chili-garlic sauce until blended and smooth. Add more water, as needed.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups (750 mL) water to a boil. Add the soba noodles; cook, stirring once or twice, for 5 to 6 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse under cool water.
- Heat reamining sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and red pepper. Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes until peppers are crisp-tender. Add the cooked noodles; stir-fry for 1 minute longer and then add 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the sauce.
- Divide stir-fried noodles evenly between lettuce leaves. Sprinkle with minced green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with remaining sesame-ginger sauce.
Noodle options: Feel free to use 4 ounces of the long thin noodles/pasta of your choice in place of the buckwheat soba. Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 2 lettuce cups
Keywords: soba, gluten-free, lettuce cups, vegan, easy, fast, healthy